Check out our recipe as featured in examiner.com
Side Dish Sunday is the perfect way to ease your way into eating healthier. We all can’t go
cold turkey. Some of us need a little hand-holding and daily encouragement. If you
resolved to eat healthier or test your principles with being a vegetarian, start by adding
vegetarian or plant-based side dishes to your meals. Spend Sunday afternoons testing new
flavors and ingredients. Invite friends and family over to share in the experience. Make it
fun. Try something new. The more you play around with new recipes, the easier it will be to
go the distance and embrace being a vegetarian. Who says you have to go to a fancy
restaurant for an incredible culinary experience? For those of you who have already
adopted the vegetarian lifestyle, Bon Appétit!
Today’s recipe is provided by vomFASS. For 20 years, vomFASS has been producing
quality products at the highest level. In the picturesque village of Waldburg, Germany,
the Kiderlen family began importing wine from South Tyrol, Italy in the early 1960’s.
Twenty-five years later, the family acquired a wine business. Johannes Kiderlen took
over the reins of the family’s import business and the inexperienced Johannes
mistakenly requested a huge bulk order of sherry – leaving Johannes with two options:
throw away much of the sherry, or bottle it. His intuitive solution was to fill some old
casks with the sherry and advertise locally for customers to bring in their own bottle
and fill it ‘from the cask.’
The startling success of the ‘from the cask’ concept prompted Johannes to reorganize
the business – focusing on five key components: fruit vinegars, exquisite oils, selected
wines, outstanding liqueurs and unique spirits – all chosen based on Johannes’
uncompromising standards of quality. More than 100 awards later from renowned
institutes, vomFASS products have made a name in the world of connoisseurs.
White Citrus Slaw (serves 4)
• 1/2 head cabbage
• 1/2 jicama
• 1 fennel bulb
• vomFASS Salt and Pepper, to taste
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tsp. mustard powder
• 4 T. vomFASS Honey Balsamic Vinegar
• 1/2 cup vomFASS Grape Seed Oil
• 1/2 cup vomFASS Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Thinly slice cabbage, jicama, and fennel.
2. Toss lightly with vomFASS Salt and Pepper and let rest.
3. In a separate bowl mix egg yolk, mustard powder, and one tablespoon VOM
FASS Honey Balsamic Vinegar.
4. Slowly add vomFASS Grape Seed Oil and vomFASS Lemon Extra Virgin Olive
Oil while stirring.
5. Continue until all the oil HAS BEEN added.
6. Thin the mixture with the Remaining vomFASS Honey Balsamic Vinegar.
7. Toss this with the sliced vegetables and serve.
8. Store refrigerated for up to 48 hours.