MADISON (WKOW) — Just in time for Halloween, our friend Chef Kevin Appleton from vomFASS stopped by Wake Up Wisconsin to help us make some Halloween friendly dishes.
Get the recipe and watch the segment courtesy of: WKOW 27: Madison, WI
Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil give this home-made Halloween treat a rich nutty flavor.
* 1 cup sugar
* 6T. corn syrup (light or dark)
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 1/4 cups raw shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
* 1T vomFASS Pumpkin Seed Oil
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract
* 3/4 tsp. baking soda
* 1/4 tsp. vomFASS Sea Salt
* 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1. Line a large baking pan (at least 11 x 17 with 1″ sides) with parchment paper or a “silpat”.
2. Combine the Sugar, Corn Syrup and water in a tall sided 4 quart pot, bring to a boil and cook until it just begins to caramelized or the temperature reaches 300 degrees on a candy thermometer.
3. Lower heat, stir in pumpkin seeds, then remove from heat and carefully stir in pumpkin seed oil, vanilla and then baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Please note that the brittle will expand
when the baking soda is added.
4. Quickly pour the brittle on to the baking pan, allow to cool and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. (Long exposure to moist air will cause it to get sticky.)
* Do not allow the hot brittle to come into contact with your skin – it’s sticky and can cause a serious burn.
* If the sugar doesn’t reach 305 (hard crack) or if it gets too hot (lots of caramelization) it will be sticky and not crunchy/brittle.
* It’s OK if the pumpkin seeds brown slightly, but be careful not to burn them.
* For thinner brittle, spread with a spatula, or right after pouring, or place in a pre-heated 300 degree oven for 3- 5 minutes and allow it to spread out. (Experienced candy makers will
sometimes pull it and thin it with gloved hands as it cools down, but I don’t recommend this for home unless you have unusually heat resistant hands.)
Apple Raspberry Quince Fizz
A fun and fruity cocktail!
* 8 oz. seltzer, chilled
* 1 tsp. vomFASS Apple Balsamic Star
* 1 tsp. vomFASS Forest Raspberry Balsamic Star
* 1/2 tsp. vomFASS Quince Balsamic Vinegar
* 1/2 T. vomFASS Grenadine (optional – if you like it sweeter)
* Fruit for garnish (optional)
1. Mix the vinegars together and pour into glass over a ice. 2. Add the seltzer, garnish with fruit and enjoy.
* For fizzier drinks, make sure seltzer is chilled before opening and pour in other ingredients before the seltzer to promote even mixing without stirring.
* For 21 and overs, consider spiking your fizz with a splash of vomFASS Ginger Liqueur.
Read the entire post on the WKOW website: http://www.wkow.com/story/27163537/creative-dishes-for-any-halloween-party